Friday 29 May 2015

People

I have selected some of the images I have taken during my travels to Algeria.  I love going about in the streets, watching people going about their daily lives.  My camera is always ready whenever someone catches my attention.

Everywhere I go, I am always greeted with a smile and a ready willingness to pose for me and let me take a photo.  To all these wonderful people, my gratitude and special thanks.

I took this photo in Ain-el-Turck at lunchtime.  These 3 workers were taking a break and were eating some Calentica served on bread as a sandwich.  Calentica is a popular food that I have described in the Food section of the blog posts on Algeria.
3 workers at Lunchtime
This lady was resting under the shade of a tree at a popular tourist lookout called "Bel Horizon".  It was lunchtime on a hot autumn day.
A Lady by the Shade of a Tree
You can see many of these merchants in the streets of Oran.  In this case, this fellow was selling assorted nuts such as peanuts, almonds, pistachios, pumpkin seeds etc...  Note the inventive way this fellow has set up his platform; and old pram, a wooden plank, some boxes and his produce and he's got his business going. 
A Street Merchant
I was taken by this man sitting by a shady street.  His face and eyes were so peaceful and gentle and he was quite happy to let me take his photo.
A wise Man
This elderly gentleman was resting near what used to be the picture theatre in Mers-el-Kébir.  These days, it is a government building.
Elderly Gentleman  Resting
The Kristel market is one of my favourite places where I have made and enjoy catching up with a number of friends I now have there.  
Farmers and their Produce at the Kristel market
 
This little boy was standing at the window in his house and was quite happy to pose for me. 
Hello Little Man
I couldn't resist the opportunity to take this photo at the main entrance of the El Mansourah citadel.  The ladies were most obliging and even the horse co-operated in this instance.
Ladies by the Entrance of the Ruins of El Mansourah
I was visiting the house where the nuns of Mer-el-Kébir used to live when this little cutie suddenly came out of one of the rooms.  Her smile and genuine happiness did it for me.
Little Cutie
I took this shot near a market in Oran.  He was sitting there and was more than happy to let me play with my camera.
Man Sitting
These 4 men were watching the world go by at a village near Mers-el-Kébir called El Ançor. 
Whenever they can, locals spend a good part of the day talking and exchanging ideas.  This practice reinforces the bonds between them and keeps the true value of Life foremost in their mind.
Men at the Town Square
These 2 men were enjoying a coffee break in Tlemcen.  As well as sweet Mint tea, a great deal of coffee is consumed every day by the local population.
Men enjoying a Coffee Break
This shot was taken in Oran along the boulevard Front de Mer facing the port of Oran.
Men Exchanging Ideas
Each time I travel to Algeria, I go and visit a family who now lives in the house where I grew up when I was a boy prior to leaving the country to go to France.  Mother and daughter are standing in what used to be my parents' bedroom.
The Family who lives in the Apartment where I Grew up
The year I visited my primary school, the building was closed for holidays.  The cleaners were however inside and were quite happy to open for me and let me visit the place.  I hadn't seen this place for nearly half a century but all my childhood memories were still there.  As a bonus, they agreed to pose for me; thank you ladies for a very special moment. 
The Primary School Cleaning Ladies
These young girls were walking in the streets of Mers-el-Kébir and were curious to know who I was and what I was doing in their part of the world.  There again, I had to take a shot.
Three Young Girls
These 2 young men were caught in a traffic jam as I was walking by in one of the main streets in Oran.  They called out and simply wanted to welcome me in their country.  Their exuberance caught my attention and the camera did the rest. 
Welcoming Smiles from the Locals
These 2 young boys were standing in front of the mosque at Mers-el-Kébir; formerly the catholic church of the village where I had been an altar boy for 8 years.  I stood in this very spot countless times while I lived there and decided it was worth a shot. 
Young Boys by the Mosque
The youth population of Algeria is very high and wherever you go, young people can be seen everywhere.  They spend most of their time at school and when school is over, the street is their playing ground.  No computers, I pads and other electronic devices to occupy their day but plenty of physical exercise and fresh air.  Obesity is practically non-existent and just take a look at those smiles !!!  
Young Boys in the street
This young girl kept watching me by the door of her house as I walked down her street in Mers-el-Kébir.  She gratefully posed for the camera.
Young Girl at the Door
This young man was transporting all sorts of things on his cart with his donkey.  I loved the scarves around its head and when I asked him the reason for these, he simply replied that he thought it looked good.  I agreed with him and took the photo.
Young Man and his Donkey

No comments:

Post a Comment