Monday 15 June 2015

The Beaches

Some of the most vivid memories I have of my life in Algeria revolve around going to the beach. 

Ain-el-Turck Beach


During the warm months of the year – generally May to October, going to the beach was a weekly event for almost everyone living there.  In those days;  (First half of the 20th century), people didn’t travel much or take holidays far away from their home.  The beach was the place where everyone went to cool down, enjoy water activities, meet friends and have great beach parties. 

Bouzedjar Beach


Then as now, the many beaches lining the coast west of Mers-el-Kébir offer the locals and the increasing number of Algerian tourists, an almost uninterrupted choice of white sandy beaches one can choose depending on which direction the wind blows from. 

Les Andalouses Beach
 
Although half a century has passed since I left Algeria, each time I return there, I still get an immense pleasure in revisiting the many places where I spent so much time during my childhood and early teens. 
Fishermen by the Sea at Les Andalouses beach



Les Corales beach will always a special significance for me as it is the place where I learnt to swim when I was a young boy.  Each time I go back to that very spot, this significant event in my life comes back to me very clearly.

Les Corales beach
 


I recently discovered Madere and Sbiat beaches.  These are located some manageable distance from Mers-el-Kébir but in the Fifties, my family considered these beaches a bit too far to drive to.  I have to admit that we had such a great choice closer by that we never felt the need to drive that much further to enjoy a great day by the sea.  I am glad however that I have discovered these spots as they are truly magnificent and certainly worth the drive. 
Madere beach


The other side of Madere beach


 
Sbiat Beach
 
 


 


 

 

 

 
 
 
 



 








No comments:

Post a Comment